top of page
  • Neil Harrison

More HOA home extension and renovation planning guidance advice

Updated: Jun 29, 2023

If you are planning renovations or an extension to your home, it is important, of course, that you are aware of the ‘ins and outs’ of planning requirements. On this blog recently we carried some valuable guidance from the always informative Home-owners Alliance reference planning requirements for a home extension.

Now here, also from the HOA, is some further useful advice and guidance with regards to planning implications as they could affect alterations and renovation to various other areas of your home.

Garages, sheds and greenhouses

Outbuildings such as sheds, garages, greenhouses and some other structures are also considered to be permitted development. You can build a garage or outbuilding on your property without planning permission as long as it’s of a reasonable size – no higher than 4 metres.


Do bear in mind though that outbuildings cannot take up more than half of the land around the original property. There are as always exceptions where planning permission is necessary so contact your Local Planning Authority or visit the Planning Portal for further details of planning exemptions for outbuildings

Paving over the front garden

As long as the material you are using is porous there is no need for planning permission whatever the size of the new hardstanding. However if the material is impermeable anything over 5 square metres requires planning permission.

Windows and doors

In most cases there is no need for planning permission to repair or replace windows and doors. The major exception is if your property is listed in which case you will have to obtain listed building consent. And don’t forget you will need Building Control approval for windows.

External walls and roof

For minor maintenance works, or improvements such as painting your house or inserting a skylight, you do not need planning permission. As always this is not the case if your building is listed.

planning permission

If you live in a conservation area or an area of outstanding natural beauty, you are required to obtain planning permission if you wish to change the appearance of your home. If you live in a flat and you wish to alter the roof you should consult the local planning authority before you start any work.

Wind turbines and solar panels

Temporary wind turbines do not require planning permission but permanent ones usually do. If you are unsure contact your local authority. Solar panels do not require planning permission unless you live in a listed property.

Fences, gates, and walls

Planning permission is necessary for any fence, gate, or wall:Next to a road and over 1 metre high

Over 2 metres and not next to a road;If your house is listed; If it forms a boundary with a listed building.

Trees and hedges

Many trees are protected by tree preservation orders and you will need permission to prune them. You can phone your council to check if any trees on your land are protected. Similarly permission is required for work done to any trees in conservation areas. To find out if a tree on your property is protected contact your local council.

any height

Hedges can be any height but you are responsible for any hedge on your property – it’s your job to stop them becoming a nuisance to your neighbours


Nearly all internal works such as loft conversions, garage conversions, new staircases, bathrooms, kitchens, or rewiring, do not require planning permission. But, do check if you want to do anything to a listed property or you live within a Conservation area.

Whatever your project plans, feel free to request your no obligation meeting to plan the improvement , refurbishment or extension of your home in the future.

Contact Mint Builders on 01242 279739 or email

3 views0 comments


bottom of page